since Landry's allergic reaction to antibiotics. This had to be the hardest thing Casey and I have ever gone through. I remember it like yesterday. It started off with a simple strep throat. A doctor gave him penicillin to help him get well. We met our Arkansas friends in Dallas for the weekend. He developed "bug bite" bumps on his face and then they spread to the trunk of his body. We went to the ER in Dallas only to be told it was a bug bite. I knew in my heart it was something else. After a phone call to the pediatrician on call he told us to go to the Waco ER. They said it was a simple penicillin allergy, gave us some different meds, and sent us home. That night he was so swollen. He was leaking fluid out of his skin everywhere. Another trip back to the hospital they said it was Erythema Multiforme which is a severe allergic reaction. One more time we were sent home with another antibiotic. The nurse in me was determined this was not right. There was more to this. Why is he not getting better? He was getting worse. Temperature was 105 and the hives were traveling (eyes, throat, bottom of his feet, etc.) Baseball size bruising all over his body. By now we were on our 4th antibiotic. He couldn't bend his little fingers because they were so swollen and leaking. He was in severe pain, crying, hungry, and tired. Casey and I were scared to death. We prayed and everyone we knew was praying for him. Finally our pediatrician was back from vacation. He called us in after he heard about Landry and was shocked at what he saw. Landry's body was shutting down. His kidneys were not working. They put him in the hospital. He had Steven Johnson Syndrome (the worst allergic reaction). They had the hardest time getting an IV on him and talked about doing his neck vein instead. The POWER of prayer was all over Landry that day. They got it on the last attempt. After several days in the hospital we now know he is allergic to ALL antibiotics. The more antibiotics he was given the more his body hated it.
Here are a few pictures of what happens to Landry if he takes antibiotics. These are not even the worst ones.
Since going through this, we have been to several Immunologist and Allergist on what to do if he ever needs an antibiotic. Their answer? They don't know. This is so rare. They want us to be admitted to the hospital if he gets sick to where he needs an antibiotic so they can "try" ideas on him. This is something he will not out grow. We have done the testing, invited to be part of research, and taking the precautions to prevent illness ( had tubes put in his ears so he will never have to take antibiotics for ear infections). Landry does not go to preschool because of the amount of sick kids he would be exposed to. He goes to a sweet lady who keeps 3 other kids. Fall and winter times he doesn't go to church. Casey and I take turns staying home with him. He stays home!
So why is two years such a big deal to me? Two years of a HEALTHY Landry! God has covered this little boy with so much protection over the past two years. I can't begin to express how that feels. With tears in my eyes, I am so grateful for Landry being so healthy. Thank you Lord! I know there will come a day when we will have to face the next challenge on this and make some hard, hard decision. I know God will lead us through that too!

7 comments:
I can't believe it's been almost two years either. God bless that precious baby boy's heart! We will continue to cover him in prayer especially through these upcoming months!!!
Much love to you guys!!!
Being a nurse too, I can truly appreciate the miraculousness of this milestone. God is SO good!! We will continue to cover little Landry (and his Mommy and Daddy too) in prayer. Lot's of love!!
Praise the Lord is right! I am so tahnkful for you guys that he has been healthy. I will add sweet Landry to my prayer requests that he has another healthy fall and winter. You are one strong woman...!!!Those pictures made me cry.
Oh my goodness. I cannot believe those photos and you say those aren't even the worst ones. I'm so glad he has been healthy these past two years. I cannot even imagine your fear. Will he never be able to go to school? Will you have to homeschool him? I know that my son is FOREVER sick during the winter from all the school kids and he just brings it home to the rest of us. How fearful because you must take ever precaution that your older two stay as well as possible too.
I couldn't even read it all, Robin. I remember it too vividly, and the pictures brought back all of those feelings with a big lump in my throat and tears in my eyes. Thank you God for such wonderful blessings!!! It's good to be reminded about this, so we remember to keep on praying for sweet Lanny. We love y'all so much!!
It is hard to believe that it all happened two years ago. It is still hard to believe that they looked like simple bug bites in the beginning. I am so thankful that he recovered and has been so healthy for the past two years. We love you guys so much and will try to stay away from Dallas on our next visit:)
its still hard to see those pictures! that was so awful, but PTL its been 2 yrs!! Isn't God amazing? He looks great!
Post a Comment