Thursday, September 4, 2008

Brave Lauren

I have to brag on my sweet Lauren, she had gum graft surgery today. She was a brave little girl and I am just amazed at how well she did.
Lauren's adult bottom tooth came in so crooked that it pushed her gum way back. So far back that the root of the tooth was getting close to being exposed. This put her at great risk for possibly loosing one of her adult front teeth. Today she was supposed to be given some Versed (sleeping medicine) to help her before surgery relax. When we got there there was a miscommunication and it was not ordered. We could either cancel the surgery for another time (it took us 3 month to get into this guy) or proceed with the surgery with her awake. I let Lauren make the call on this. She wanted to go ahead. What a brave little girl! The doctor was even nice enough to let me scrub in to hold her hand during the surgery.

Before surgery picture.

She was amazing I tell you! We giggled and cracked jokes until it was time for surgery. Through the tears they numbed her mouth up as best as they could. Then they cut a dime size piece out of the top of her palate. He then sutured in her graft with 8 stitches. All along she held my hand with her eyes set on me. I talked to her and tried to calm her. Wow, being a mom is a hard job some days. She trusted me and together we made it through it. (Inside I just wanted to bawl watching her) I am soooo not a good nurse to my own children. I just wanted to cry for her or jump up on the table and do it for her. All in all my precious Lauren did great. Look at this smile after the surgery. Oh how I love this girl!
The boys and I had made a special trip to the Webkinz store today to surprise her with "chip" the chipmunk.

Tonight she is tucked in her bed after taking some pain medicine. Tomorrow might be a tender day for her but I am truly grateful for a little girl who is so brave. I am so proud of you Lauren! Hope you feel better soon. Love you~Mom

7 comments:

Angela said...

What a brave girl! And, a brave mommy too!

Amanda said...

Her smile is beautiful and one of a kind! Such special girl. :)

Anonymous said...

Way to go Lauren! I am so impressed. That was a very brave decision and I am so proud of you for going through with the surgery.

Robin, I am proud of you too! As moms we all know it is hard to watch our kids experience life and would be much easier to take their place like you said. Lauren is learning from the best!
Love ya!
Jen

MLP said...

OH Sweet Lauren...you are braver than I am!!! So glad this is over (for BOTH of you!) & hope the recovery is QUICK!!! Love you both!

Jodee said...

Thanks for stopping by today. I love your blog look! Your kids are adorable too!

Our Complete Family said...

Thanks for popping over today and for your sweet comments that made my heart smile! Your kiddos are super adorable and your blog is so fun and cute! What a brave little girl you have, too. I see lots of ice cream, whip cream, yogurt and popsicle meals for her tomorrow! Happy day wishes to you! ~ Leslie

Adrianne said...

Beautiful, brave and sweeter than words...that's Lauren. We are so proud of you! Get some rest, feel better soon and enjoy lots of ice cream.

Way to go Robin! You have doctored my kids so many times, when I am just too much of a mess. But it's harder when they're your own. Ya done good:-) You're definitely in the right line of work.

Hey, make sure Lauren shares her ice cream with her brothers:-)

With love, hugs and prayers-