Tuesday, April 6, 2010

My SUPERSTAR!

It is that time of year again.....TAKS test time. That ugly state required test that is given to students that they must pass in order to move onto the next grade. YUK! My sweet 5th grader was all set this morning to ace her Math Taks.

We have a couple of rituals we do every year for these test.
1.) Lauren loves to eat bacon so every TAKS test morning I get up early and make her a nice bacon breakfast......ONLY this year I burned it! ha. I bought the already cooked bacon that you just add to the microwave and heat up. WELL, this morning I was super tired and read the directions for cooking it in a skillet. In a skillet you are supposed to cook it for 4 minutes BUT I was cooking it in the microwave which was supposed to be only 24 SECONDS. haha~ The house smelled awful. (still does! Any suggestions?) Thankfully I still had some leftover bacon and cooked it the right way. You can sure count on that tomorrow morning I will read the correct directions!!!

2.) Lauren is a smart, beautiful girl. She does really well at school but sometimes gets test anxiety. Since 3rd grade we have come up with a little plan that we do every year now. The Superstar method. With a sharpie I draw a star on the inside of her hand so that every time she sees that during her TAKS she remembers that mom is praying for her throughout the day and that she will ALWAYS be a Superstar to us! I also draw a star on my hand so that it holds me accountable to praying for my sweet girl throughout the day. I can't tell you how many people see my star that day and ask about it. When I tell them they ask to join me in prayer for her. This warms my heart:) Lauren has loved this idea and it makes her feel so secure in taking that ugly ol' TAKS test.

So tomorrow is the reading TAKS......
~Good Luck Lauren~
We know you will do great Superstar!
We LOVE you.



post signature

2 comments:

MLP said...

I hope you don't mind, but I just took a Sharpie and put a star on my hand so I can be praying for Sweet Lauren all morning long, too! I would have been anyways but I LOVE this idea so much!!! Beautiful Lauren IS a superstar and such a JOY to know and love!!! I know she will do awesome on the reading tomorrow!

Excited about your new Mac and love that pic of Casey in the previous post! Oh and your Monday morning song is a hoot!!!!!!!!!

angie said...

I LOVE this idea too and I will be using it with my kids. I hope she did awesome today, and I'll be praying for her tomorrow :-)