Thursday, September 25, 2008

What is up with Halloween these days?

(Just a fun picture)
Is it just me or is Halloween getting scarier in the stores? I am not one to really get scared of spooky things but lately I feel like I am walking right into a horror movie just going down the Halloween isle. I can't even take my kids down one now for fear of them seeing something that will give them nightmares. Is the blood and guts really necessary? I hate to sound like an old person but "back in my time" we just had sweet mask. Remember Holly Hobby? Smurfs? and if I remember right the scariest thing they had was a green witch mask with a wart on her nose. I thought that was a big deal then. ........but now?? Not trying to sound like a Debbie Downer but I am really not enjoying going to the grocery store lately for fear of my 9 year old will start crying because of the shaking skeleton with glowing eyes yelling at her. Yuk!
In our neighborhood we get a TON of kids (I do mean they bus them in!) mainly because of a nice preacher that lives down the street. He throws a Halloween party (blow ups, games, candy) at his house. This makes it a little crazy and hard on the other neighbors because we quickly run out of candy. My kids almost like giving out candy more than trick or treating because they get to see all of the costumes.......but the past two years it has not been as fun for them because of bloody costumes that some kids like to wear. Casey has even stopped them halfway up the sidewalk to tell them to go to another house with that on.

Call me old I guess......Halloween just isn't what it used to be!


6 comments:

angie said...

Totally agree with you sister:) And BTW that picture is hilarious!! I love that Lauren adn Luke have pumpins on their bellies to. Precious!

Stacey said...

Amen sister!! You've already read my ranting and raving on the subject on my blog!!! I'm with you. We don't even stay home on Halloween. Two of our local churches have "trunk-or-treating" where their families decorate their trunks and the kids trick-or-treat from car to car and then they have face-painting and snacks and party stuff. Luckily the churches coordinate it so we can go to both.We don't usually get home until 8 or so and then they've got tons of candy and are ready to bathe and go to sleep. Most of the time I will let them go to our neighbors houses to trick-or-treat (mostly because our neighbors like to see them dressed up).

MLP said...

That is THE BEST picture ever (reminds me to pull out my Easter Egg pic...you are TALENTED, sistah!).

You are so right on the Halloween thing. It's quite a shame.

I can't wait to show you my Holly Hobby costume. I'm serious!

Amanda said...

Ahh the "good ole days" I infact WAS a smurf when I was 4 years old. It was the plastic costume with the plastic face. Probably only cost $5! Haha

LOVE that picture!

Amanda said...

Okay, I just laughted at Mindy and the Holly Hobby costume! Why does that not surprise me?? ;) I had Holly Hobby wallpaper up in my room as a kid too.

Our Complete Family said...

Love the pic of you guys. So fun!!! I hope no scary costumes come to your door this year. The same thing is happening with tv cartoons. What happened to Jem, Fraggle Rock, Kids Incorporated, Thundercats...all the good ones are gone :(